Mark Robert Barry
APR 320 – Copywriting
The University of Alabama
Students write a script for a 30 second radio spot and see it through the entire production process. Hindsight is 20/20. Following through with the production process provides experience and insights into what considerations need to be made during the writing stage.
- Build experiential knowledge
- Follow a concept from ideation through production
- Improve collaboration and interpersonal skills
- Each student writes 3 radio scripts for preassigned clients.
- Students meet with their group and pick the best concept from the 12 ads. *Each group has 4 students working for one assigned client.
- The group collectively makes final edits to the chosen script and submits it for feedback.
- Guest lecture on best practices for audio recording and Garageband demo by media center staff.
- Production of scripts.
- Critique: listen to produced radio spots as a class and discuss.
- As with all client-based assignments for this class, messaging and delivery must be professional, brand aware, on target.
Students are graded with consideration to conceptual strength, brand awareness, target-focused messaging, and overall impact.
Sample Student Work
Spicely Organic Loose Leaf Tea
Luke E. / Avery K. / Will M. / Kelly O.
Preservation Hall Foundation
Molly E. / Brittany C. / Jessica D. / Vincent F.